Tips for Researchers
The following resources are useful in the process of writing grants, conducting research and publishing your work.
IRB and Ethics Resources
- African Studies Association Ethical Conduct Guidelines
- UCB Comittee on Protection of Human Subjects guidance and resources on international research.
- US Health and Human Services International Compilation of Human Research Standards.
- Clare Gupta, Alice Bridget Kelly, eds. 2014. "Special Issue: Giving Back in Field Research" Journal of Research Practice Volume 10, Issue 2. Includes 27 articles on the practice, ethics and dilemmas encountered in 'giving back' during fieldwork. Focus is mainly though not exclusively on Sub-Saharan African fieldwork. Many of the authors have UC Berkeley connections.
- Louise Fortmann. 2008. Participatory research in conservation and rural livelihoods : doing science together. Chichester, UK; Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell.
- From Jenna Burrell, School of Information
- Summary of tips and advice from 28 September 2012 Field Work Forum
- Network for Historical Researchers in Zambia
Safety when Traveling and Researching Abroad
- Traveling Abroad - Resources from the UC Risk Services Office.
- 2013 Bibliography on personal safety during fieldwork
Grant Writing Guidelines
- Adam Pzreworki, and Frank Salomon. 1995. On the Art of Writing Proposals. New York: Social Science Research Council.
- IIS online dissertation proposal writing workshop: Including Michael Watt's essay "The Holy Grail: In Pursuit of the Dissertation Proposal"
- Hints on writing abstracts from the Haas Scholars Program in the Office of Undergraduate Research
- Proposal Writing Resources from Dr. Suad Joseph, UC Davis
- How to get grants and fellowships and "Foolproof Research Proposal Template" from Karen Kelsky's blog, The Professor is In.
Tips on Publishing Your Dissertation/Research
- Germano, William P. 2005. From dissertation to book. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.