You are here


Coursework and degrees focused in African Studies are available at Berkeley through many disciplinary departments and through UC extension. There are also opportunities to study African languages and study abroad. The Center also can advise students on careers related to Africa and African Studies.


Each semester, the Center compiles a list of African related courses taught on the Berkeley campus. Graduate students may also take courses for credit at Stanford University by participating in the Stanford-Berkeley Exchange Program.


These degree program are of particular interest at the bachelors level.

Students pursuing an M.A. or a Ph.D. can, in most departments, declare Africa as a geographic area of study. In addition, there are four graduate programs of specific interest.

Students wishing admission to UC Berkeley must be admitted to a degree granting department, school, or program. For graduate school information, contact the UC Berkeley Graduate Division. For Undergraduate admissions, contact the UC Berkeley Office of Undergraduate Admissions. General admission information is available on the main Berkeley home page. Foreign students may find further assistance at Berkeley International Office.

Options for Non-UC Berkeley students

It is possible for students from other UC campuses, California State Universities, California community colleges and select other higher education institutions to enroll in Berkeley courses under certain circumstances. There are also established exchange programs with select institutions. Concurrent enrollment is also an option. For more information see:

A Member of the Greater Community can take a regular UC Berkeley Course.

Through UC Extension, it is possible for a member of the community to take a regular UC Berkeley course under concurrent enrollment. To be accepted in a concurrent course you must meet all prerequisites for the course you choose and obtain the consent of the instructor, the head of the campus department, and, in some cases, the dean of the department's school or college.  You must meet all course requirements, which may mean showing transcripts from previous studies. You must enroll for credit. Records of your study are maintained by Extension's Registrar. Foreign students will need an I-20 Visa and will need to show a TOEFL score. Contact UC Extension at (510) 642-4111 and ask for concurrent enrollment materials. For more information visit UC Extension's page on Concurrent Enrollment.