Tips for Researchers
We have identified the the following resources to assist you in the process of writing grants, conducting research and publishing your work.
- African Studies Association Ethical Conduct Guidelines
- Clare Gupta, Alice Bridget Kelly, eds. 2014. "Special Issue: Giving Back in Field Research" Journal of Research Practice Volume 10, Issue 2. Includes 27 articles on the practice, ethics and dilemmas encountered in 'giving back' during fieldwork. Focus is mainly though not exclusively on Sub-Saharan African fieldwork. Many of the authors have UC Berkeley connections.
- Louise Fortmann. 2008. Participatory research in conservation and rural livelihoods : doing science together. Chichester, UK; Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell.
- From Jenna Burrell, School of Information
- Summary of tips and advice from 28 September 2012 Field Work Forum
- Network for Historical Researchers in Zambia
Safety when Traveling and Researching Abroad
- Traveling Abroad - Resources from the UC Risk Services Office.
- 2013 Bibliography on personal safety during fieldwork
Grant Writing Guidelines
- Adam Pzreworki, and Frank Salomon. 1995. On the Art of Writing Proposals. New York: Social Science Research Council.
- IIS online dissertation proposal writing workshop: How to Write a Dissertation Proposal
- Hints on writing abstracts from the Office of Undergraduate Research
- Post-doctoral applications from the blog, The Professor is In.
Tips on Publishing Your Dissertation/Research
- Germano, William P. 2005. From dissertation to book. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.