Study Abroad in Africa
UC Berkeley, through the University of California Education Abroad Program, offers Fall, Spring, and Year study abroad opportunities for Egypt (Cairo), South Africa (Cape Town), and Ghana (Legon-Accra). Fall Programs are offered in Botswana (Gaborone) and Senegal (Dakar). There is also a Spring Program offered in Tanzania (Dar es Salaam).
Financial assistance is available. Visit the Berkeley Programs for Study Abroad (BPSA) web site for more information. Please visit our Center for more information on various study abroad programs in Africa, ranging from short to long programs. The U.C. Berkeley Study Abroad office and our Center are located in Stephens Hall.
Resources for Study Abroad
- Council On International Educational Exchange
Combining volunteer work abroad with service learning.
- The NCSA promotes study abroad programs in Africa and seeks to improve the quality of these programs. This site provides the most comprehensive listing available of programs for study abroad in Africa available to U.S. students.
- Africa South of the Sahara listings on study abroad opportunities and other links regarding all aspects of education in and about Africa.
Other Financial Aid for Study Abroad
- The Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship is a congressionally funded program offered through the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State and administered by the Institute of International Education.
- FastWeb, a Scholarship Search engine. It provides free customized scholarship search after you fill out a profile. E-mail updates about suitable scholarships are then sent based on the profile.