Rocca and Ezera Application Information
Center for African Studies Fellowships
ROCCA AND EZERA APPLICATION PROCEDURES
The application consists of the online application form, the supporting materials and three letters of recommendation. There is a slightly different application process for first-time applicants then for previous recipients. The same application is used for the Rocca and Ezera competitions. Please read the introductory pages for each for eligibility requirements.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU HAVE A WELL-FORMULATED PROSPECTUS WHICH HAS THE APPROVAL OF YOUR ADVISOR.
All new applicants MUST submit by e-mail via firstname.lastname@example.org the following:
- An abstract (150 words or less).
- Aprospectus of your dissertation/proposal (no more than 1200 words).
- A budget which specifies the amount you need from Rocca and/or Ezera funds to supplement your primary grant. The budget should be for the overall project, iindicating other sources of support, and describing the particular need for Rocca and/or Ezera funds.
- A curriculum vita.
- A copy of your unofficial UCB transcripts of record (CalCentral Academic Summary PDF). To access your unofficial transcript of record, go to: https://calcentral.berkeley.edu, login with your Calnet ID, click on “My Academics", then click on “Academic Summary." Print the page as a PDF file, save and submit.
Three Letters of Recommendation and Signed Waiver Forms
- Please solicit three letters of recommendation from faculty who are familiar with your research. Provide each recommender a copy of the signed waiver form. They should send their letters directly to the Center via email email@example.com. We suggest that Faculty members put in the subject line the name of the applicant and “Fellowship Letter of Recommendation”.
- Submit the signed Waiver Forms. In addition to providing your recommenders with the signed waiver form, you must also submit signed copies to the Center (address is below) for our files. This is the only PAPER SUBMISSION of your application. Please follow the directions written on the actual form.
Applicants who already have received a Rocca Advanced Studies or Ezera Award and are applying for additional funds, must submit the online application form, the supporting materials listed below and one new letter of recommendation.
All new applicants MUST submit by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org the following:
- The required report on progress during the previous fellowship year,
- An updated abstract (150 words or less),
- An updated essay not exceeding 1200 words,
- A new budget
- An updated curriculum vitae.
You may submit a transcript if you have taken additional courses that you wish the committee to consider. See directions above on how to submit the required digital version of your unofficial transcript.
One New Letter of Recommendation and Waiver Form
- The new letter of recommendation should be from a faculty member who is familiar with your research and can speak about your progress. Provide the recommender a copy of the signed waiver form. The recommender should send the letter ELECTRONICALLY directly to the Center via email to email@example.com. We suggest that Faculty members put in the subject line the name of the applicant and the some wording to indicate, “Fellowship Letter of Recommendation”.
- Submit the signed Waiver Form to the Center to the address below. This is the only PAPER SUBMISSION of your re-application.
Rocca and Ezera Memorial Award Committee
International and Area Studies
Center for African Studies
342/356 Stephens Hall #2314,
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2314
Questions should be directed to Martha Saavedra,firstname.lastname@example.org