The Butterfly Effect explains how small changes can have big effects. The Berkeley Effect explains how one university can change the world.
The Center for African Studies has been part of the Berkeley Effect for nearly 40 years.
We are participating in UC Berkeley’s annual Big Give—a 24-hour fundraising blitz — to raise the funds needed to maintain our engagement with Africa through programs for students and faculty.
Please consider donating to the Center for African Studies fund between 9 PM on Wednesday, November 16, through 9 PM on Thursday, November 17. Your contribution will help to:
- Enable undergraduate students to carry out summer projects in Africa.
- Provide support services for African students studying at Berkeley.
- Support graduate students conducting fieldwork in Africa.
- Develop Africa-focused curriculum materials.
- Maintain African language programs on campus.
- Bring Africanist scholars to campus.
Beyond donating to the Center for African Studies, you can participate in the Big Give TODAY November 17 by:
- Sharing your support for the Center on Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram or Facebook using the two hashtags #CalBigGive and #UCBAfrica.
- Keeping an eye on the Center’s Facebook and Twitter channels to like our posts, share our images, and show your support for our programs.
- Taking part in the one-hour contests hosted by UC Berkeley throughout the day including both #CalBigGive and #UCBAfrica in your social media shares.
- Sending us an update on your own work via Facebook and Twitter using both hashtags #CalBigGive and #UCBAfrica.
- Visit our new website to see more of our activities.
Thank you for your support!